Under supervision, the research technician assists scientists with laboratory and investigative procedures
This role performs various assays, imaging experiments, and other technical duties to assist with the research activities of the laboratory and may be required to work with animal models and/or human subjects
· Prepares and maintains detailed records, logs and summary reports of all procedures and results including graphs, scientific calculations, and statistical analysis charting.
· May be responsible for tissue & cell culture activities.
· May be responsible for animal husbandry, genotyping, surgeries, post-operative care, behavioral testing, sectioning and histology.
· May perform routine molecular biology laboratory procedures, such as PCR, protein and DNA electrophoresis, cloning and DNA preparation.
· May run routine biochemistry assays including western blotting and RT-PCR.
· May perform microscopic imaging analyses.
· May be responsible for the receipt, storage, cataloguing and shipment of samples within and between institutions.
· Ensures a clean working area and is responsible for washing and storing glassware.
· Ensures the safe laboratory practices are followed, including the use and disposal of chemicals and hazardous materials.
· Analyzes data using computer software and reports results to the principle investigator(s).
· Provides technical support to faculty and staff including training of new employees, residents, postdoctoral associates, fellows and students.
· Participates in planning and carrying out experiments. Assists in preparing research protocols.
· Conducts library research and literature searches using various computer systems. Assists in editing scientific publications, abstracts and posters.
· Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensure that needs are escalated appropriately. Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
· Ensures that facilities and equipment are in optimal and proper working condition. Coordinates preventative maintenance and repairs as needed. May perform minor repairs if qualified and as needed. May advise on upgrades for performance enhancements.
· Bachelor's Degree in related field
· Some bench lab related experience. Minimum two-year commitment due to a substantial training effort associated with the position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail.
· Ability to plan and prioritize work while responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities.
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
· Standard laboratory conditions.
· Ability to work flexible hours.
· This position may handle radioactive material and/or biologic materials from human subjects as required.
· This position may require standing or sitting for long periods of time.
· This role may require working within Biologic Safety Level 1, 2 and/or 3 facilities
Please send, as a single pdf file, a resume and a brief narrative of your prior research experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org